Peter is a trial lawyer and an advocate for medical and dental professionals in all forums. He is currently the Vice President, and president-elect, of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, the state-wide association of Oregon lawyers who practice civil litigation defense. Peter is regularly selected by his peers as a “Super Lawyer®” and recognized nationally as one of the “Best Lawyers in America.®” In 2020, Peter was inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates, a highly selective national association of experienced trial lawyers and judges. In March 2022, he was the lead author of an article published in the prestigious peer reviewed Journal of the American College of Radiology entitled Anatomy of a Lawsuit. He has obtained defense jury verdicts on behalf of the leading healthcare systems in Oregon and Washington, including PeaceHealth, Legacy Health, Samaritan Health Services, and Asante in significant medical cases with the plaintiffs asking the jury for six, seven, and eight figures. Peter has won jury trials for emergency medicine doctors, neurologists, oral surgeons, dentists, and nurses. Most recently, he tried three in-person civil jury trials during the COVID-19 pandemic when most courts were not conducting civil jury trials.
Peter graduated from Gonzaga University, and then from the University of Oregon School of Law (Order of the Coif). While in law school, he served on the Moot Court Board and as an Articles Editor for the Oregon Law Review. Following law school, Peter clerked for the Honorable Richard B. Sanders of the Washington Supreme Court. Currently, Peter is on the Board of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, the state-wide association of civil defense lawyers.
Peter became a partner at Keating Jones Hughes, P.C. in 2009. He is the proud father of two sons and considers one of his best skills coaching futsal.
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel – Vice President
- The Foundation for Medical Excellence – Continuing Medical Education Advisory Committee
- Judge – University of Oregon School of Law, Legal Research & Writing, Appellate Advocacy – 2008 – present
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates, elected in 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Medical Malpractice Law, Selected 2014-2022
- Oregon Super Lawyers
- The Prestigious Pacific Northwest Dental Conference, “Risk Management: Calibrate Your Risk Radar”
- A Southern Oregon Professional Society, Risk Management Seminar, “Calibrate Your Risk Radar”
- Partnership of Radiologists, “Navigating the Unfamiliar World of Medical Malpractice Law for Radiologists“
- OADC Trial Practice Group, Presenter – “Taming the Reptile: Strategies for Responding to Plaintiff’s Reptile Tactics“
- Rogue Valley Medical Center, Emergency Department staff and Three Rivers Community Hospital, Emergency Department staff, “Navigating a Medical Malpractice Claim“
- OMSNIC National Council Meeting, Presenter – “Tales from the Trenches“
- OADC Fall Seminar, “Appellate Law Update“
- Tuenge, Peter, Robinson, Jeffery, MD: “Anatomy of a Lawsuit.” Journal of the American College of Radiology March 2022.
- “Court of Appeals Upholds Statutory Cap on Noneconomic Damages in Wrongful Death Actions,” Association of Defense Counsel Newsletter
- “The Oregon Court of Appeals Holds Trial Courts Lack Authority to Exclude Demonstrative Exhibits Admitted into Evidence from the Jury’s Deliberations,” Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Newsletter